These cupcakes are incredibly chewy and moist. They taste like a traditional brownie, but there’s no sugar or flour, and they’re completely raw. The icing is just as rich and delicious, and it only contains cashews and agave (or date paste).
Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting
Recipe type: Vegan, Raw
- 1 cup dates + water to blend
- 1 cup oat flour
- ¼ cup flax seed meal
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- cinnamon (optional)
- maca powder (optional)
- 1 cup cashews, soaked over night
- agave to taste
Date Caramel (optional)
- 5-6 dates
- water to blend
- Start by making the date paste. Blend the dates with about 2 tbsp of water. Add more water if necessary.
- You can remove the date paste from the blender to grind the oats, or blend everything at once. I do it all together, but it takes a few minutes longer to break the oats down that way.
- Blend date paste with the rest of the ingredients. The mixture should be moist enough to stick together, but not watery. You can add more water if it's too dry, or more of any of the dry ingredients if it's too wet.
- Form into balls, or use a silicone mold to shape cupcakes. I used a silicone mold to make the heart shaped cupcakes.
- Dehydrate the cupcakes 4+ hours until they are the desired consistency. The longer you dehydrate them, the less moist they will be in the inside.
- Drain the cashews of the soaking water and add them to the blender. Add about 3 tbsp of fresh water and blend together.
- Add the agave and any other flavorings you would like.
- The more water you add, the thinner the consistency.
- Blend dates and water til a smooth consistency.